Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to the end of week 26. Another busy week.
For photos of students hard at work learning this week please see our Grade 6 Picture folder linked below.
Notices/ Worth Repeating
As you will have seen in the news, regarding health and safety protocols around Covid 19, Oman is making moves towards normalcy. We continue to maintain our high standards and our current procedures however and ask that we all remain vigilant in this respect.
As a reminder please see the points below:
- Do not send your child to school if they are exhibiting any symptoms of Covid. Keep them home until a doctor confirms that they can safely return to school.
- Please inform the school immediately once you are aware of any confirmed covid cases in your family, or of any close contacts with confirmed or suspected cases.
- Please follow the updated Covid Management protocols which our school will be following in the event of positive or close contact cases throughout our unvaccinated primary population.
- Primary grades will maintain grade level “bubbles”. This means they will eat and play within their own designated outdoor spaces.
- In order to maintain these bubbles, After School Activities will not resume until further notice. We will continue to monitor the situation carefully.
- Music and PE will continue as normal.
Student Led Conferences
I would like to say thank you to everyone that was able to attend a student led conference here at school this week. As a teacher it is fantastic to see the students sitting in the driving seat as it were, leading these conferences sharing their learning with you. I know the children were also very happy to spend this special time with you and to take you through their learning this year. They certainly had some fun pretending to be each other’s parents asking questions of each other when we were preparing for this special event.
If for some reason you were unable to attend, you are of course able to have these discussions with and sharing with your children at home for which students are able to bring their portfolios and work samples home before returning them back to school.
This week for homework students have been asked to learn spelling words, to revise their basic facts, to watch educational programmes and note their thoughts and reactions to this viewing. As a result of this we have had some very interesting discussions with students growing their understandings of what climate change is as well as what can cause this.
Reading, Writing and Inquiry
Human actions impact climates.
Lines of Inquiry:
For this we will inquire into the following;
- Human and natural causes of climate change
- Effect of climate change on animals
- Effect of climate change on biomes
For our UOI, students have been watching footage about our planet and how human action impacts climates. Students have also been putting together a list of other resources that inform this subject. For this please see the link below:
For writing, we have also been working on using words instead of ‘Said’ in our writing.
Please see below a presentation I have put together as a reference for this.
For mathematics this week students worked to grow their mathematical understanding of geometry. This included learning about; faces, vertices, corners, 2 and 3 dimensional shapes as well as compass directions, coordinates, angles, scales, reflection, tessellation, rotation and translation. Please see the link below for samples of class work as well as some of the resources we have used for this learning. Math is all around us 🙂
For our Grade 6 schedule please see the link here: Grade 6 schedule.
Wishing you a great weekend ahead.
As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Your partners in learning.
The Grade 6 Teaching team
Glen Nicholson, Maryam Al Muqbali, Khadija Alornrani