Dear Parents and Students,
Another busy week, welcome to the end of week 27.
This week students have been learning about Oman and our wonderful Host Country Culture.
For this we have tested Omani Halwa and coffee, learnt about the Omani National Dress, Made Omani style Jewellery, designed a traditional Omani Khanjar, Abaya and Alkumma as well as learning about the Frankincense trail in Oman and playing traditional Omani games.
For photos of students hard at work learning and having fun this week please see our Grade 6 Picture folder linked below.
Notices/ Worth Repeating
Important meeting for parents and students:
With the Grade 6 Exhibition unit coming up soon, I would like to have a brief meeting with all grade 6 parents and students to discuss this. For this meeting, please join me at 6pm on Sunday the 20th of March by clicking on the following Homeroom Google link.
I look forward to seeing you there.
Regarding Covid 19:
As you will have seen in the news, regarding health and safety protocols around Covid 19, Oman is making moves towards normalcy. We continue to maintain our high standards and our current procedures however and ask that we all remain vigilant in this respect.
As a reminder please see the points below:
- Do not send your child to school if they are exhibiting any symptoms of Covid. Keep them home until a doctor confirms that they can safely return to school.
- Please inform the school immediately once you are aware of any confirmed covid cases in your family, or of any close contacts with confirmed or suspected cases.
- Please follow the updated Covid Management protocols which our school will be following in the event of positive or close contact cases throughout our unvaccinated primary population.
- Primary grades will maintain grade level “bubbles”. This means they will eat and play within their own designated outdoor spaces.
- In order to maintain these bubbles, After School Activities will not resume until further notice. We will continue to monitor the situation carefully.
- Music and PE will continue as normal.
This week for homework students have been asked to learn spelling words, to revise their basic facts, to watch educational programmes and note their thoughts and reactions to their viewing. As a result of this we have had some very interesting discussions with students growing their understandings of what climate change is as well as what can cause this. I hope you have been enjoying some of this informative, thought provoking viewing also. Please also remember to sign your child’s homework each week.Thank you.
Reading, Writing and Inquiry
Central Idea: Human actions impact climates.
Lines of Inquiry:
For this we will inquire into the following;
- Human and natural causes of climate change
- Effect of climate change on animals
- Effect of climate change on biomes
For our UOI, students have been watching footage about our planet and how human action impacts climates. Students have also been putting together a list of other resources that inform this subject. For this please see the link below:
For writing, we have also been working on using words instead of ‘Said’ in our writing.
Please see below a presentation I have put together as a reference for this.
For mathematics this week students worked to grow their mathematical understanding of geometry. This included learning about; faces, vertices, corners, 2 and 3 dimensional shapes as well as compass directions, coordinates, angles, scales, reflection, tessellation, rotation and translation. Please see the link below for samples of class work as well as some of the resources we have used for this learning. Math is all around us 🙂
- G6 Geometric Art
For our Grade 6 schedule please see the link here: Grade 6 schedule.
Wishing you a great weekend ahead.
As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Your partners in learning.
The Grade 6 Teaching team
Glen Nicholson, Maryam Al Muqbali, Khadija Alornrani